Visual ornamental characteristics embodied in, or applied to, an article of manufacture.
The subject matter of a design patent application may relate to
- the configuration or shape of an article,
- the surface ornamentation applied to an article, or
- the combination of configuration and surface ornamentation.
A design for surface ornamentation
- is inseparable from the article to which it is applied and cannot exist alone, and
- must be a definite pattern of surface ornamentation, applied to an article of manufacture.